Claiming benefits

You may be entitled to financial support even if you are not currently receiving any.

GOV.UK eligibility checker

Check what benefits and financial support you can get with the GOV.UK eligibility checker.

Benefits calculators

Use an independent benefits calculator to find out what benefits you could get, how to claim and how your benefits will be affected if you have a change in circumstance.

Advicelink Cymru ‘Claim what’s yours’ helpline

Advicelink Cymru offers quality assured advice on welfare benefits, debt, employment, education, housing, immigration and discrimination. Check what you are entitled to and to claim what’s yours.

Citizen’s Advice

Citizens Advice Pembrokeshire can help you with welfare benefits, claim forms and provide free, independent money and rights advice.

Cost of Living Payments 2023 to 2024

You may be able to get up to 5 payments to help with the cost of living if you’re getting certain benefits or tax credits.

You do not need to apply. If you’re eligible, you’ll be paid automatically in the same way you usually get your benefit or tax credits.

Read the guidance on getting extra payments to help with the cost of living if you’re entitled to certain benefits or tax credits.

Types of benefits

  • Universal Credit: a benefit to help with living costs if you’re on a low income, out of work or cannot work.
  • Housing Benefit: available to people on a low income, but not receiving Universal Credit, who are renting their homes to help them to afford to pay the rent.
  • Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP): is a scheme that can help you to pay your rent in the short-term.
  • Council Tax Reduction and Council Tax discounts: can help with paying your council tax bill.
  • Pension Credit: gives you extra money to help with your living costs if you’re over State Pension age and on a low income.
  • Attendance Allowance: helps with extra costs if you have a disability severe enough that you need someone to help look after you.
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP): help with extra living costs if you have both a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability, and have difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or getting around because of your condition.
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children: may help with the extra costs of looking after an eligible child.
  • Sense Cost of Living Support Fund: grants of £500 for people with complex disabilities who are on low incomes and live in the family home.
  • Child Tax Credit: a means-tested benefit that can top up your income if you are responsible for at least one child or young person.
  • Child Benefit: if you are responsible for bringing up a child who is under 16 (or under 20 and in approved education or training) you can make a claim and be paid every 4 weeks at a rate of £24 per week for the eldest or only child and £15.90 for every additional child.

Other helpful links

Help with education and school costs
Help with household bills